A chilling video of a man being electrocuted after touching an overhead wire of a railway track in West Bengal's Malda town is being shared online with claims that it occurred in Mumbai.
The video shows a man atop an express train, that had halted on the station, trying to touch the high voltage overhead wires in an attempt to commit suicide. In the first few seconds, the victim joins his hands and touches the wires. Within seconds the man's entire body catches fire.
BOOM has chosen not to include the video as it is disturbing.
The footage is doing the rounds as an incident that happened in Western Railway's Malad station. It has been captioned on Facebook as, “Shocking Incident | News | Maharashtra | Mumbai. Man commits suicide by touching high tension electric wire over a train at halt on Malad station."
(Original text in Hindi: "मुंबई के मलाड स्टेशन पर एक युवक ने ट्रेन की छत पर चढ़के, बिजली की तार छू कर की आत्महत्या। देखें वीडियो में।")
The same video was earlier viral on Twitter, however it was deleted after netizens pointed out that the clip is from Malda, West Bengal.
We ran a relevant keyword search and found that the video is originally of a suicide that occurred at Malda Railway Station on November 17.
The Millennium Post reported that the incident happened on November 17, when the victim climbed atop the New Delhi Farakka Express which was stationed at the Malda Town Railway platform.
An excerpt from the report says, “According to sources, on Sunday, a person identified as Binod Bhuniya (40) of Hazaribagh in Jharkhand was waiting at the station with his wife and three children. An altercation broke out between Bhuniya and his wife over some family issue. During the altercation, Bhuniya suddenly climbed up the roof of New Delhi-Farakka Express which was waiting at the railway station. Other passengers and his wife started screaming and requested Bhuniya to come down. Station Master of Malda Town railway station Dilip Chauhan was also informed. But before any help arrived, Bhuniya reportedly touched the high voltage overhead electric wire and fire broke out immediately.”
The victim suffered 90 percent burns and later succumbed to his injuries.
A local news bulletin can be viewed here.