Hungry for a chatpata treat? This Aloo Tikki (Potato Patty) recipe is what you need. Watch Veena Gidwani to learn how to make this quick and delicious snack.
5 boiled medium-sized potatoes (preferably Talegaon or wafer potato)
2 green chillies, finely chopped
1 teaspoon (tsp.) fine cumin powder (shah jeera)
1/2 tsp. red chilli powder
2 buns, (or 5 slices of bread)
Bunch of coriander leaves, finely chopped
A small bowl of oil for frying
Salt to taste
1 finely chopped onion
2 green chillies
1/2 tsp. dried coriander seeds powder (Dhania powder)
1/2 tsp. cumin powder (Jeera powder)
1/2 tsp. dried mango powder (aamchoor powder)
1. Peel the boiled potatoes in a plate and mash them. Ensure there are no lumps.
2. Add spices – coriander leaves, green chillies, cumin powder, red chilli powder - to the mashed mixture
3. Soak the buns/slices of bread in water for a minute. Squeeze out all the water completely and add this to the mashed potatoes. Add salt to taste.
4. Mix the ingredients and knead it into dough.
5. Make balls from the dough and flatten them to form tikkis or patties.
6. To make the filling, add all the spices to the onion and ginger and mix.
7. Make a depression in the patties with your thumb and put the filling in the centre. Seal it by folding the tikkis.
8. Heat oil in a deep frying pan and gently slide each piece into the oil.
9. Turn the tikkis around and fry them on a high flame till they are golden brown.
10. Drain out the excess oil and serve the tikkis with mint and coriander chutney.