Gingerbread is the ultimate fusion of bread and cake for the festive season. Asha Khatau tells you how to make scrumptious gingerbread for frosty winter mornings.
1 1/2 cups plain flour, sieved before measuring
3/4 teaspoon (tsp.) each of baking powder and baking soda
1 tsp. of salt
1 tablespoon (tbsp.) of grated ginger
3/4 tsp. of powdered cinnamon (dalchini)
1/3 cup of salad oil
1/4 cup of condensed milk
1/3 cup of brown sugar and jaggery (gud)
1/2 cup of boiling water
1. Preheat the oven to 1700C or 3500F.
2.Mix flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon powder.
3. Add grated ginger to the mixture.
4. After all mixing all the dry ingredients are mixed, make a depression in the flour mixture to pour all the liquid ingredients along.
5. Add salad oil. (Same quantity of melted butter can be added instead of salad oil.)
6. Add half cup of brown sugar and condensed milk.
7. Mix the powdered jaggery with half cup of boiling water.
8. Pour the jaggery syrup into the flour mixture.
9. Grease a baking tray with butter or salad oil.
10. Spread the mixture in the tray evenly.
11. Put the tray in the oven and bake for 35 minutes.
12. Once baked, allow the gingerbread to cool for 10 minutes and serve it in a plate.
13. Garnish with icing sugar or honey.