Donald J. Trump on Friday was sworn in as the 45th president of the United States. And as expected, President Trump’s first address to the nation did not pull any punches as he pledged to make ‘America first’ and eradicate ‘radical Islamic terrorism’ completely from the face of the earth.
While Trump had some kind words for President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama, saying he is “grateful for their gracious aid throughout this transition”, he went on to deliver an unconventional speech attacking Washington’s ‘elite’.
“Washington flourished – but the people did not share in its wealth,” thundered President Trump.
Here are 10 key statements from President Donald J Trump’s unconventional inaugural speech.
1) Today’s ceremony, however, has very special meaning. Because today we are not merely transferring power from one Administration to another, or from one party to another – but we are transferring power from Washington, D.C. and giving it back to you, the American People.
2) The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer.Everyone is listening to you now. You came by the tens of millions to become part of a historic movement the likes of which the world has never seen before.At the center of this movement is a crucial conviction: that a nation exists to serve its citizens.
3) From this moment on, it’s going to be America First.Every decision on trade, on taxes, on immigration, on foreign affairs, will be made to benefit American workers and American families.We must protect our borders from the ravages of other countries making our products, stealing our companies, and destroying our jobs. Protection will lead to great prosperity and strength.
4) We will bring back our jobs. We will bring back our borders. We will bring back our wealth. And we will bring back our dreams.We will build new roads, and highways, and bridges, and airports, and tunnels, and railways all across our wonderful nation.We will get our people off of welfare and back to work – rebuilding our country with American hands and American labor. We will follow two simple rules: Buy American and Hire American.
5) When you open your heart to patriotism, there is no room for prejudice.The Bible tells us, “how good and pleasant it is when God’s people live together in unity.”We must speak our minds openly, debate our disagreements honestly, but always pursue solidarity.When America is united, America is totally unstoppable.
6) We will reinforce old alliances and form new ones – and unite the civilized world against Radical Islamic Terrorism, which we will eradicate completely from the face of the Earth.
7) We will no longer accept politicians who are all talk and no action – constantly complaining but never doing anything about it. The time for empty talk is over. Now arrives the hour of action.
8) A new national pride will stir our souls, lift our sights, and heal our divisions.It is time to remember that old wisdom our soldiers will never forget: that whether we are black or brown or white, we all bleed the same red blood of patriots, we all enjoy the same glorious freedoms, and we all salute the same great American Flag.
9) And whether a child is born in the urban sprawl of Detroit or the windswept plains of Nebraska, they look up at the same night sky, they fill their heart with the same dreams, and they are infused with the breath of life by the same almighty Creator.So to all Americans, in every city near and far, small and large, from mountain to mountain, and from ocean to ocean, hear these words:You will never be ignored again.
10) Your voice, your hopes, and your dreams, will define our American destiny. And your courage and goodness and love will forever guide us along the way.
Together, We Will Make America Strong Again.